POSITION: FIELD OFICER
LOCATION: MOUNT ELGON, KENYA
DURATION: 2 YEARS
ACORD (Agency for Cooperation and Research in Development) is a Pan African organisation working for Social Justice and Development operating in 18 countries in Africa. ACORD seeks to go beyond addressing the consequences of poverty by understanding, challenging and changing the conditions that cause poverty and exclusion through a Pan Africa Programme that unites practical work, research and advocacy in 4 thematic areas namely:- livelihoods, particularly food sovereignty, peace building & conflict transformation, gender justice & women’s rights and Right to Health. ACORD believes that people have a right to a just and equal society. We are committed to making that a reality for people on the margins of African societies. We work in common cause with people who are poor and have been denied their rights to understand, challenge and change these conditions by working in alliance with organisations worldwide to achieve these aims.
Context and environment
ACORD and The British Council, together with partners in the UK and Kenya, have developed a proposal for a football-based programme in Kenya to work with young people on the prevention of violence against women and girls (VAWG), by building on the existing Premier Skills programme. The programme will be funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
Premier Skills is a partnership between the British Council and the Premier League in the UK which uses football as a tool to engage with and develop the skills of young people worldwide. The programme is delivered by the Premier League and British Council and draws upon the Premier League’s global appeal and expertise in delivering community programmes in the UK, alongside the British Council’s global network, relationships of trust and cultural understanding.
The post holder will have responsibility for managing the day-to-day delivery of the programme in Mount Elgon. She/he will ensure that programme activities are delivered to high quality standards and will manage relationships in the region in relation to the regular programme sessions and events. The post holder will manage the team of coaches delivering the programme and will be responsible for collecting and reporting monitoring data on activities.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties
• Responsible for managing the day-to-day delivery of the programme in Mount Elgon
• Attend all training courses delivered for programme coaches in the region as a participant, including community football training, training on delivering curriculum on violence against women and girls, first aid training, and child protection training
• Supervise ongoing delivery of programme activities, including regular sessions three times a week in each of Kopsiro and Kapsakwony and quarterly community awareness raising events, to ensure that all activities are delivered to high quality standards
• Act as key point of contact for approximately 48 coaches and any additional volunteers running programme sessions with young people, including arranging payments, dealing with performance issues, and coordinating rota for sessions and events
• Lead on managing relationships with partners in the region in relation to the implementation of regular programme sessions and events
• Lead on recruitment of young people to participate in programme sessions, ensuring representation from a balance of girls and boys and a cross-section of community groups
• Act as the child protection focal point for the programme in Mount Elgon
Required skills, knowledge and experience
• Degree in Social Sciences
• Demonstrable good project and event management skills to organise and monitor delivery of activities
• Experience of coordinating a team to deliver activity and collecting and reporting on monitoring data to measure results
• Strong financial management, reporting, facilitation and training skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills and relationship and partner management skills
• Learning orientation and commitment to working to address violence against women and girls in a sensitive and context-appropriate way
• Passion for sports and its potential for community development and social change programmes, particularly in the area of violence against women and girls
• Experience of working with national and international donors and partner organisations
• Experience of leading programmes to engage young people
REMUNERATION: A competitive national package
Human Resources & Organisational Development Manager
ACORD Nairobi, ACK Garden Annex,
P. O. Box 61216, 00200, NAIROBI, KENYA
Tel: +254 20 2721172, 2721185/86
To apply, please complete this application form and email it with a detailed Curriculum Vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Job Title in the Subject Box. Attach a Certificate of Good conduct. A detailed Job Description is also available here.
ACORD is an equal opportunity employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 14TH FEBRUARY 2015
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.